What is reflexology?
Reflexology is an alternative, complementary therapy that works by stimulating points on the feet and hands. These points correspond to different parts of the body, its glands and organs, and reflexology helps to balance the body, as well as to prevent illness and improve recovery.
The idea is to treat the person as a whole, in mind, body and spirit. Instead of treating the symptoms of a disease its aim is to find the root of the imbalance or illness. It is important to say that, like other alternative treatments, Reflexology is a complement to conventional medicine not a means of replacing it.
How does it work?
- Reflexology stimulates blood flow which helps carry oxygenated and nutrient-rich blood to the cells, allowing the cells and organs to function to their optimum potential.
- Direct contact with nerve-endings in the feet or hands sends messages to the central nervous system to adjust the tension level: calming, stimulating or balancing as required.
- Reflexology can strengthen the immune system by assisting in the elimination of toxins and waste products.
- Reflexology positively affects the circulatory, respiratory, endocrine, immune, and neuropeptide systems in the body.
How does reflexology help us?
- It promotes a healthy body
- It reduces the effects of stress
- It improves the immune system
- It alleviates pain
- It improves circulation
- It assists the digestive system and the elimination of waste products from the body
- It helps to eliminate toxins from the body
- It helps us to relax
- It promotes nerve stimulation
- It can help to reduce pain and recovery post-operatively
- It promotes emotional and psychological well-being